Details for St. Matthews Episcopal Church (Atlas Number 5093004473)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5093004473

Data

Marker Number 4473
Atlas Number 5093004473
Marker Title St. Matthews Episcopal Church
Index Entry Saint Matthews Episcopal Church
Address 410 N. Austin St.
City Comanche
County Comanche
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 537445
UTM Northing 3529626
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Episcopal denomination
Marker Year 1964
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text The earliest Episcopal worship services in the Comanche area were conducted in the late 1870s by Bishop Alexander C. Garrett of Dallas. In 1886, soon after the organization of the St. Matthews congregation, work began on this frame building. Located on land deeded by Sarah Jane Walcott, it is the oldest existing church structure in Comanche County and has been in continuous use since its completion in 1887. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964 [Text of original plate, 1964] St. Matthews Episcopal Church. County's oldest church building when built in 1887. Was so remote its Bishop's visits were by horseback.