Details for First United Methodist Church of Gainesville (Atlas Number 5097001889)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5097001889

Data

Marker Number 1889
Atlas Number 5097001889
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Gainesville
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Gainesville
Address 214 South Denton
City Gainesville
County Cooke
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 672249
UTM Northing 3722007
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; Gothic Revial (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1976
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 214 South Denton, Gainesville.
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Formed in 1852, this congregation shared its first meeting place with two other denominations and the Masonic Lodge. A frame church building was erected in 1878 on this property, donated by James M. Lindsay. The present sanctuary, built by contractor John Garrett, was begun in 1892 and dedicated in 1893. The red brick, Gothic Revival style structure features outstanding Art Nouveau stained glass windows. In 1965 an education building was added. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976.