Details for City Hall-Fire Station, Old (Atlas Number 5097003709)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5097003709

Data

Marker Number 3709
Atlas Number 5097003709
Marker Title City Hall-Fire Station, Old
Index Entry City Hall-Fire Station, Old
Address
City Gainesville
County Cooke
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 671906
UTM Northing 3722049
Subject Codes buildings; fire and fire departments
Marker Year 1968
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Intersection of Dixon and Pecan Streets, Gainesville.
Marker Size Medallion and Plate (27 x 42)
Marker Text Erected 1884. First floor was fire station, with ladder truck, hose wagons and horse stalls. Insignia for the three fire companies appear above doors. Second floor contained city offices. Jail or "Calaboose" was in rear. Architect was J. J. Kane. Second story and bell tower were removed in 1933. The Cooke County Heritage Society saved building from demolition, 1966. Renovated through generosity of G. C. and Gladys Morton. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark--1968.