Details for Garvin Memorial Cemetery (Atlas Number 5113006723)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5113006723

Data

Marker Number 6723
Atlas Number 5113006723
Marker Title Garvin Memorial Cemetery
Index Entry Garvin Memorial Cemetery
Address 3800 block W. Northwest Highway
City Dallas
County Dallas
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 701594
UTM Northing 3638213
Subject Codes graveyards
Marker Year 1980
Designations
Marker Location 3800 blk. W. NW Hwy., south side between Sherwood Forest Drive and Cochran Heights Drive
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text This burial ground served the pioneer families who settled in the area. Graves here date from the 1870s. The land for the cemetery was donated to the community by James G. Garvin (1830-1897), a former Dallas merchant, his wife Eliza, and brothers Col. William L. Crawford (1839-1920) and Judge M. L. Crawford (1841-1910), prominent attorneys of the county. Several veterans of the Civil War are interred here, including Col. Pleasant G. Swor (1834-1878), who led an assault against Union forces at the Battle of Corinth. (1980)