Details for Hord Log Cabin (Atlas Number 5113006743)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5113006743

Data

Marker Number 6743
Atlas Number 5113006743
Marker Title Hord Log Cabin
Index Entry Hord Log Cabin
Address 501 Shelter Place
City Dallas
County Dallas
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 704853
UTM Northing 3624744
Subject Codes cabins, log houses; pioneers
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Opera and Lancaster streets
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text First permanent structure built on the west side of the Trinity River in Dallas, this cabin of hand-hewn logs was erected in 1845 by Judge William H. Hord (d. 1901), Dallas County Judge, 1848-50, who brought his family here by covered wagon from Tennessee. In 1887 Oak Cliff developer T. L. Marsalis bought the Hord property. Mr. and Mrs. Martin Weiss rescued the cabin and gave it in 1942 to American Legion Post No. 275 and Auxiliary. The restored building became a museum in 1976. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962