Details for Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5119006941)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5119006941

Data

Marker Number 6941
Atlas Number 5119006941
Marker Title Methodist Church
Index Entry Methodist Church
Address 5416 FM 128
City Ben Franklin
County Delta
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 242804
UTM Northing 3706979
Subject Codes churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1966
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location FM 38 and 128
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Ben Franklin; Founded 1854 by efforts of "local preachers" Dan Clower and John B. Craig (former law partner of John B. Denton, for whom Denton County was named). A circuit rider, Rev. Bennett Elkins, was named Dec. 5, 1854, to serve Sulphur Forks Mission, including this church. Log walls, roof shingles and rafters were cut in sawmill of a settler, Greenville Smith. Present building was erected 800 yards from old site, 1898. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966