Details for De Witt County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5123001191)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5123001191

Data

Marker Number 1191
Atlas Number 5123001191
Marker Title De Witt County Courthouse
Index Entry De Witt County Courthouse
Address 307 N. Gonzales St.
City Cuero
County DeWitt
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 666530
UTM Northing 3219376
Subject Codes courthouses; design and construction
Marker Year 1966
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location DeWitt County Courthouse grounds, west entrance facing N. Gonzales St.
Marker Size 18" x 28" with post
Marker Text De Witt County organized in 1846 with Cameron as the first seat of government. Clinton was county seat from 1850 to 1876, when its two-story frame courthouse was moved to the new seat of Cuero. That building burned in April 1894. The present courthouse was built from 1894 to 1896, designed by A.O. Watson and completed under supervision of Eugene Heiner. The Richardson Romanesque building, strongly influenced by H. H. Richardson's Allegheny County Courthouse, is a three-story sandstone and granite courthouse with a six-story clock tower and flanking pavilions. In 2007, the courthouse was rededicated with a ceremony patterned after the 1896 original dedication. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966