Details for The Edward Mugge House (Atlas Number 5123005327)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5123005327

Data

Marker Number 5327
Atlas Number 5123005327
Marker Title The Edward Mugge House
Index Entry Mugge, Edward, House
Address 218 Terrell St.
City Cuero
County DeWitt
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 666243
UTM Northing 3219478
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; German immigrants/immigration; markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1971
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 218 Terrell St., Cuero
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Built in 1870s by a key man in the activities and ideology that gave the town of Cuero its economic leadership role in late 19th century south Texas. Edward Mugge (1839-97), a native of Germany, arrived in the now-extinct seaport of Indianola (80 miles southeast) on Aug. 20, 1854. Seizing opportunities to rise through hard work and resourcefulness, he attained in two decades the eminence of partnership in the pioneer banking firm of H. Runge and Company. In his diverse enterprises he offered many other young men -- particularly those of similar Teutonic - American heritage -- chances to invest work and skill in development of this area. Beginning this house as a typical comfortable home of the region, he originally built seven rooms -- three of these milled in Saint Louis and assembled here. Over ensuing years he made additions as surprise gifts to his wife (Nee Pauline Blumenthal) and six children: Edward, Lilly, Anna, Henry, Oscar, and Fred. The house grew to 15 rooms, five halls, three porches. On grounds were a summerhouse, greenhouse, bath house, wash house, smokehouse, huge cistern (still existent), and stables (which later became a garage for some of the first automobiles in Cuero). The Mugge house illustrates the history of its builder and period. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971