Details for Church of St. John Baptist (Atlas Number 5129000854)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5129000854

Data

Marker Number 854
Atlas Number 5129000854
Marker Title Church of St. John Baptist
Index Entry Church of Saint John Baptist
Address
City Clarendon
County Donley
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 327310
UTM Northing 3867791
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Episcopal denomination
Marker Year 1971
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location At intersection of 3rd & Parks, Clarendon
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Oldest church continuously in use (in earliest Episcopal parish) in the Texas Panhandle. The first services were held by the Rev. Mr. Townsend of Dallas Diocese in the J. B. McClelland Ranch house, Nov. 1877. On site given 1891 by Isaac W. Carhart, building was erected in 1893. A donor, Mrs. Elizabeth Goff of Philadelphia, chose the name. The church was consecrated April 24, 1893, by Bishop A. C. Garrett. First Vicar: the Rev. W. D. Sartwell, 1890-93. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1971