Details for First Presbyterian Church of Ferris (Atlas Number 5139007104)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5139007104

Data

Marker Number 7104
Atlas Number 5139007104
Marker Title First Presbyterian Church of Ferris
Index Entry First Presbyterian Church of Ferris
Address 201 N. Church St.
City Ferris
County Ellis
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 719675
UTM Northing 3602607
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; Classical Revival (architectural style); Presbyterian denomination; churches
Marker Year 1994
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 201 N. Church St., Ferris
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Organized by 13 charter members in 1858, this congregation moved from its original site near Bluff Springs (2 miles west) to Ferris in 1875. A church building, erected here in 1890, was razed when this sanctuary was built in 1925-26. Its Classical Revival design features paired pilasters, a 3-bay primary facade with a rounded arched entry, classical columns, and 2-story stained glass windows. The congregation and sanctuary continue their integral role in the community.