Details for Harkey - Payne House (Atlas Number 5139007110)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5139007110

Data

Marker Number 7110
Atlas Number 5139007110
Marker Title Harkey - Payne House
Index Entry Harkey - Payne House
Address 216 W. Jefferson St.
City Palmer
County Ellis
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 718840
UTM Northing 3590604
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Classical Revival (architectural style)
Marker Year 1983
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 216 W. Jefferson St., Palmer
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Originally a four-room house with south and east porches, this home was built about 1870 by carpenter and blacksmith D. H. Harkey. Dr. J. M. Johnson bought the property in 1896 and added the second story and the colonial revival style columns. In 1897 the house was sold to Confederate veteran John Payne, who ran a successful mercantile business in Palmer. Built of cypress, the home remained in the Payne family until 1906.