Details for Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church (Atlas Number 5139007148)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5139007148

Data

Marker Number 7148
Atlas Number 5139007148
Marker Title Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Index Entry Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Address
City Ovilla
County Ellis
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 698136
UTM Northing 3599613
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Presbyterian denomination
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location intersection of Shiloh Rd. and FM 664, Ovilla
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The first organized church in Ellis county, the Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church congregation was chartered with twenty members on July 25, 1847, two years before the formation of the county. The church was begun under the leadership of the Rev. Finis E. King, a pioneer area minister, with the assistance of the Rev. J.C. Provine of Paris in Lamar County. Worship services were first conducted under a brush arbor and later in a cedar log tabernacle constructed by Matt McElroy and his eight sons. In 1872, during the pastorate of the Rev. D.G. Molloy, the present frame sanctuary was completed. J.P. Laughlin built the structure using lumber from Cherokee County in East Texas. Ministers here have included such prominent early Presbyterian preachers as the Rev. King, pastor from the church's organization until his death in 1859, and the Rev. E.M. White, who was instrumental in the formation of the several Ellis County churches. Since the earliest days of settlement, the Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian congregation has led in the development of Ovilla and the surrounding area.