Details for First Presbyterian Church Building (Atlas Number 5139011858)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5139011858

Data

Marker Number 11858
Atlas Number 5139011858
Marker Title First Presbyterian Church Building
Index Entry First Presbyterian Church Building
Address 501 W. Main St.
City Waxahachie
County Ellis
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; philanthropy; churches; Presbyterian denomination
Marker Year 1997
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text The Rev. J. A. Smiley organized the First Presbyterian Church in 1871 with 16 charter members. The first church building was erected in 1876 and replaced by this structure in 1916-17. After this congregation merged with another church in 1979, the building was sold to the Ellis County Art Association for use as a fine arts museum. It is a fine example of a classical church with beaux arts details in its modified Doric columns and art glass windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997