Details for Duffau School (Atlas Number 5143011868)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5143011868

Data

Marker Number 11868
Atlas Number 5143011868
Marker Title Duffau School
Index Entry Duffau School
Address
City Stephenville
County Erath
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 589243
UTM Northing 3557125
Subject Codes educational buildings; educational topics
Marker Year 1998
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 15 mi. S of Stephenville on US 281; 4 mi. E on FM 1824 to Duffau Store; .5 mi. S on FM 2481; at intersection of FM 2481 and FM 1824
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text This schoolhouse was built by architect-contractor George Coleman of Stephenville in 1936 with the $4,700 insurance settlement received after an earlier school building burned. The simple one-story structure, built of brick veneer over frame construction, is topped by a hipped metal roof and features a shed-roof front porch entry. Heated with wood stoves and lighted with oil lamps, it served the community as a school until 1958, when the Duffau School was consolidated with schools in nearby Hico. The building was converted to a community center maintained by local citizens. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1998