Details for First United Methodist Church of Leonard (Atlas Number 5147008885)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5147008885

Data

Marker Number 8885
Atlas Number 5147008885
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Leonard
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Leonard
Address 206 N. Main St.
City Leonard
County Fannin
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 756050
UTM Northing 3697171
Subject Codes churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Main & Houston St.
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text This brick structure was built as the second sanctuary for the Leonard Methodist congregation, which was organized three years after the founding of the town in 1880. Completed in 1906, it was constructed during the pastorates of the rev. E. G. Roberts and the Rev. S. P. Ulrich. Three years later the building was dedicated free of debt at a special service which included a sermon by Bishop W. B. Murrah. The styling features Gothic revival detailing. RTHL - 1980