Details for Flatonia City Hospital and Opera House (Atlas Number 5149001908)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5149001908

Data

Marker Number 1908
Atlas Number 5149001908
Marker Title Flatonia City Hospital and Opera House
Index Entry Flatonia City Hospital and Opera House
Address 109 W. South Main St.
City Flatonia
County Fayette
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 683004
UTM Northing 3285600
Subject Codes hospitals; opera houses and theatre; Romanesque/Richardsonian Romanesque (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1983
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Marker reported missing June 2016.
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Dr. George Washington Allen (1849-1903) founded the Flatonia City Hospital in 1896, and this building was completed the following year to serve the medical needs of the growing railroad town. About 1910 the second floor hospital space became the site of the City's Opera House. In 1914 this Romanesque revival building was sold to H. E. Olle, who leased it for over 60 years. Businesses located here have included a drugstore, chicken hatchery, skating rink, and cafe. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983