Details for Fayette County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5149012627)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5149012627

Data

Marker Number 12627
Atlas Number 5149012627
Marker Title Fayette County Courthouse
Index Entry Fayette County Courthouse
Address 151 N. Washington
City La Grange
County Fayette
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 704880
UTM Northing 3309910
Subject Codes courthouses; design and construction; Romanesque/Richardsonian Romanesque (Architectural style)
Marker Year 2001
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location west lawn of courthouse square
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text About 1890, the structural safety of Fayette County's third courthouse came into question, and plans began for the building of this structure to serve as the seat of justice for the county. The commissioners court hired San Antonio architect James Riely Gordon (1863-1937) to design the new courthouse and oversee the construction. Gordon, who was 27 years old at the time, went on to become a noted architect of public buildings in Texas. Funding for the 1890-91 courthouse came from the sale of $90,000 in bonds. Martin, Byrnes and Johnston of Colorado City served as building contractors. Gordon designed the courthouse in the Romanesque Revival style and specified four types of native Texas stone to detail the exterior: Blue Muldoon sandstone, Belton White limestone, Pecos Red sandstone and Pink Burnet granite. A central open atrium, designed to promote good lighting and natural ventilation, highlighted the interior space. The extensive use of stone, along with the massive arched windows and doorways, exemplify the building's Romanesque Revival influences. The oldest existing J. Riely Gordon courthouse in Texas, the Fayette County courthouse was completed in 1891. It has served as a setting for social events, celebrations, courtroom dramas and political oratory, and continues as a center of politics and government for the county. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001