Details for Foard County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5155012719)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5155012719

Data

Marker Number 12719
Atlas Number 5155012719
Marker Title Foard County Courthouse
Index Entry Foard County Courthouse
Address 100 Main at Commerce St. (SH 6 at US 70)
City Crowell
County Foard
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 433052
UTM Northing 3760546
Subject Codes courthouses
Marker Year 2001
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 100 Main at Commerce St. (SH 6 at US 70)
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Foard County Courthouse This is the second courthouse to serve Foard County since its creation in 1891. By 1909, the first courthouse proved too small for the needs of the county, and voters passed a bond election for the purpose of building a new one. The Commissioners Court selected Elmer G. Withers as architect, R. H. Stuckey as superintendent, and G. W. Brillhart of Abilene as contractor. Completed in 1910, the Classical Revival courthouse featured a statue of Lady Justice atop a domed cupola and prominent porticoes with paired Corinthian columns on each side. Tornado damage in 1942 resulted in the loss of these features, but the courthouse was repaired and still retains the basic configuration of its original design. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001