Details for Cartwright-McCrary House (Atlas Number 5157008984)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5157008984

Data

Marker Number 8984
Atlas Number 5157008984
Marker Title Cartwright-McCrary House
Index Entry Cartwright-McCrary House
Address FM 1093
City Clodine
County Fort Bend
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; plantations
Marker Year 1979
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Jesse H. Cartwright (1787-1849), a native of Mississippi, moved to this area in 1826. He built the original part of this home, a two-room log structure, on a 1000-acre tract in 1830. A planter and land developer, he also represented the area in the Republic of Texas Congress, 1836-1837. Following his death the plantation was sold. Joel McCrary, Jr. (d. 1910) bought the property in 1887. Several additions were made to the house during his ownership. RTHL - 1979