Details for Morton-McCloy House (Atlas Number 5157009051)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5157009051

Data

Marker Number 9051
Atlas Number 5157009051
Marker Title Morton-McCloy House
Index Entry Morton-McCloy House
Address 402 N. Second St.
City Richmond
County Fort Bend
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 232498
UTM Northing 3276192
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; pioneers
Marker Year 1994
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text "Old 300" settlers William Morton and his family operated Morton's Ferry here in the 1820s. Hand-hewn braced-frame construction suggests that at its core this house was built by the Mortons in the mid-1830s. Altered to its present appearance between 1873-1904 during the ownership of the Dr. John McCloy family, the L-plan house features a 3-bay front porch, single door entry with transom, and gable roof. Later owners included the families of Edgar Andrus and A. W. Whatley. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995