Details for Harmony Church (Atlas Number 5161009882)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5161009882

Data

Marker Number 9882
Atlas Number 5161009882
Marker Title Harmony Church
Index Entry Harmony Church
Address
City Fairfield
County Freestone
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 764673
UTM Northing 3524006
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches
Marker Year 1965
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location about 8 mi. north of Fairfield on FM 2547, just before the intersection of FM 2547 and FM 833
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text This historic sanctuary is one of the oldest church buildings in Freestone County. People of the Stewards Mill community held church services in private homes or in the schoolhouse prior to its construction. On Oct. 7, 1876, the Awalts, Bonners, Robinsons, Stewards, Watsons and others met to form an organization to erect a church building to be used by different denominations on different days. On Dec. 9, 1876, Rev. Thomas Joel Bonner preached the first sermon in the newly built church, and afterwards the Texas Presbytery of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church organized here. The front-gabled rectangular plan church features board and batten siding and paired entry doors with transom lights. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1965