Details for Sacred Heart Church (Atlas Number 5167007170)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5167007170

Data

Marker Number 7170
Atlas Number 5167007170
Marker Title Sacred Heart Church
Index Entry Sacred Heart Church
Address 1302 Broadway
City Galveston
County Galveston
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 326961
UTM Northing 3242796
Subject Codes churches; Roman Catholic denomination
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The earliest Catholic services in the Galveston area were conducted in 1838. In 1884, as a result of the church's growth under the direction of such leaders as Bishop J. M. Odin, the Galveston Diocese established Sacred Heart as the fourth church on the island. Services for Sacred Heart Church were held in the St. Mary's University building until 1892, when the parish's first structure was completed. Designed by the noted Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton, it was destroyed in the 1900 hurricane. The present building, the second for the parish, was constructed in 1903-04 during the pastorate of the Rev. D. J. Murphy. A prominent landmark in the city, it features ornate octagonal towers, flying buttresses, elaborate ornamentation, and a variety of arches. The design reflects influences of the Moorish, Byzantine, Gothic and Romanesque styles. The building's original dome, damaged in a 1915 hurricane, was redesigned by Nicholas Clayton. Sacred Heart Church has played a significant role in the growth and development of Galveston. Since the 1880s, many of the city's prominent business, professional, civic and religious leaders have been associated with the parish. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981