Details for First Lutheran Church (Atlas Number 5167007442)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5167007442

Data

Marker Number 7442
Atlas Number 5167007442
Marker Title First Lutheran Church
Index Entry First Lutheran Church
Address 2415 Avenue G
City Galveston
County Galveston
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 325713
UTM Northing 3242851
Subject Codes Lutheran denomination; churches
Marker Year 1969
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Marker reported missing Jun 2007.
Marker Size 16" x 12" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text One of earliest Evangelical Lutheran churches in Texas. Founded in 1850 by the Rev. G. Guebner, of the South Carolina Synod. Seven families were the charter members. The Rev. H. Wendt, second pastor, established day school. For the school and church, old Lyceum building was purchased in 1855. Modern building incorporates part of that structure. Church membership has rallied after hurricanes, yellow fever, war. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969