|| Four decades after joining in partnership, George Ball, John Henry Hutchings, and John Sealy employed prominent Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton to design office buildings for their Ball, Hutchings & Co. commission and banking operations. Built in 1895 as two individual but connected structures, these buildings complemented Galveston's Stand Avenue, known at the time as the "Wall Street of the Southwest."
The buildings' renaissance revival style is represented by the heavily rusticated stone arches featured on its entryways, terra cotta detailing on the parapets and entablatures, evenly spaced columns and pilasters, elaborate stone cornice, and arcading windows. The foundation walls are six feet wide at the base and made of pressed brick with ashlar patterned sandstone facing.
The corner building, which features the name "Hutching" on its entablature, was originally constructed for John H. Hutchings. The adjoining office building, featuring the name "Sealy" on its entablature, was built for John Sealy. These majestic buildings are reminders of a grand era in Galveston's history and the philanthropic legacy of these early businessmen.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992