Details for The Italian Vault (Atlas Number 5167007497)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5167007497

Data

Marker Number 7497
Atlas Number 5167007497
Marker Title The Italian Vault
Index Entry Italian Vault, The
Address 2506 65th St.
City Galveston
County Galveston
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 322192
UTM Northing 3239569
Subject Codes graveyards; Italian immigrants/immigration; Georgian Revial (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1992
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Calvary Catholic Cemetery, facing 61st Street near Avenue T 1/2
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Attracted by economic opportunities to be found here, a large number of Italian immigrants came to Galveston in the 19th century. In 1876, they formed the Italian Mutual Benevolent Society (Societa'Italiana di Mutuo Soccorso) to provide assistance to fellow immigrants. The society purchased a plot of land in Calvary Catholic Cemetery in 1888 and built this mausoleum, known as the Italian Vault. The structure exhibits Gothic style influences in its buttresses, gargoyles, and Corinthian columns flanking the entrance. The vault provides space for twelve crypts. It served as a permanent or temporary resting place for more than 70 deceased members until burial could take place in the cemetery. A number of Italian immigrants are interred in plots surrounding the mausoleum. Buried in this cemetery are Captain Clemente Nicolini, a member of the original vault building committee and a former Italian consulate who aided many immigrants; and Gioacchino Cassara, the first president of the Italian Benevolent Society. The vault also was used by members of the later organized Italian society, Stella d'Italia, and finally the the Sons of Italy. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992