Details for Landes-McDonough House (Atlas Number 5167007511)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5167007511

Data

Marker Number 7511
Atlas Number 5167007511
Marker Title Landes-McDonough House
Index Entry Landes-McDonough House
Address 1602 Post Office St.
City Galveston
County Galveston
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 326525
UTM Northing 3243364
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 1973
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Confederate veteran and capitalist Henry A. Landes (1844-1919) had this house built in 1887-88. Designed by prominent architects George E. Dickey of Houston and D. A. Helmich, the house reportedly provided refuge to some 200 people during the disastrous 1900 hurricane. John P. McDonough, owner of a dry docks and ironworks business, purchased the property in 1911. Acquired by the Dominican Sisters in 1954, it housed a fine arts center for a number of years. The eclectic Victorian structure features Romanesque style accents in its fine ornamental terra cotta, brick and ironwork, and its exuberant parapet and towers. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973