Details for 1871 Thomas Jefferson League Building (Atlas Number 5167007513)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5167007513

Data

Marker Number 7513
Atlas Number 5167007513
Marker Title 1871 Thomas Jefferson League Building
Index Entry 1871 Thomas Jefferson League Building
Address 2301 Strand
City Galveston
County Galveston
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 325538
UTM Northing 3243043
Subject Codes markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1979
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The Strand, known as "Wall Street of the Southwest," served as the central business district of early Galveston. A fire, set in 1869 to cover a robbery at Cohn Brothers, a clothing emporium, burned a mile wide area. It began at this site, once occupied by Moro Castle, a fashionable bar and meeting place of famous people. Thomas Jefferson League (1834-1874), began construction of this building in 1871. League, son of a prominent pioneer family, was an attorney and later a judge. He contracted with local craftsmen to erect this commercial building with a decorative cast iron first floor facade and a galvanized iron cornice. Originally the three-story structure housed three stores: Isaac Bernstein & Company, a leading clothier; a stationer and bookseller; and a cotton factor and commission merchant. Later tenants were attorneys, insurance agents, and clothing manufacturers. In 1921, Ben Sass joined Aaron P. Levy in purchasing this property and buying Ben Blum Hardware Co. They moved the business into this facility in 1923, where it remained 50 years. After the deaths of Aaron P. Levy (1929) and Ben Sass (1935), the building and the business were purchased by Joseph Levy Rosenfield and other Levy family members. The Levys remained owners until 1973. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979