Details for Garza County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5169012456)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5169012456

Data

Marker Number 12456
Atlas Number 5169012456
Marker Title Garza County Courthouse
Index Entry Garza County Courthouse
Address 300 W. Main St.
City Post
County Garza
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 277994
UTM Northing 3674975
Subject Codes courthouses; Praire School (Archictectural style)
Marker Year 2000
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text After Garza County's creation in 1876, it was not until 1907, at the initiative of cereal producer C. W. Post, that the county was formally organized. In 1922, when the population had grown to about 4500 and the cotton industry had spurred economic growth, citizens approved the sale of bonds to finance a new courthouse. The commissioners court selected prominent regional architect Guy Carlander of Amarillo to design the courthouse, and awarded the construction bid to the Fred T. Bone Company, also of Amarillo. Built in 1923 of reinforced concrete with brick exterior and cast stone details, the Garza County courthouse is a late, but fine, example of Prairie School architecture. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000