Details for Garza County's First Oil Well (Atlas Number 5169012661)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5169012661

Data

Marker Number 12661
Atlas Number 5169012661
Marker Title Garza County's First Oil Well
Index Entry Garza County's First Oil Well
Address
City Justiceburg
County Garza
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 294386
UTM Northing 3657935
Subject Codes oil/petroleum topics
Marker Year 1967
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location US 84, 450 ft. NW of Post Office
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text (3 1/2 miles east) After several unsuccessful ventures from 1911 to 1919, the first oil producer in the county was completed on J.M. Boren property at Justiceburg in 1926. The well was begun in 1924 by Phelps, Caldwell and Blackwell Oil Company. It produced a total of 1, 641 barrels before it was abandoned in 1932. In 1932 four producing wells were completed south of Post; a refinery was built near city. Garza County has a number of fields, and its 1,500 wells have produced more than 85,000,000 barrels of oil.