Details for Old Central Drugstore (Atlas Number 5171010014)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5171010014

Data

Marker Number 10014
Atlas Number 5171010014
Marker Title Old Central Drugstore
Index Entry Central Drugstore, Old
Address 124 E. Main St.
City Fredericksburg
County Gillespie
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 512370
UTM Northing 3349238
Subject Codes markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1985
Designations
Marker Location 124 E. Main St.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Alphons Walter (1866-1957), a Swiss-born jeweler and watchmaker, had this 2-story building erected in 1905. He sold the property in 1909 to Robert G. Striegler (1874-1934), a noted Fredericksburg civic leader who operated the Central Drugstore on the lower floor. Despite later changes in proprietors, the drugstore occupied this site for over 70 years. the local telephone exchange leased the second floor for offices and a switchboard until 1954. The building has also housed doctors' offices and Herman Heyland's photographic business.