Details for The Grapetown School (Atlas Number 5171010048)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5171010048

Data

Marker Number 10048
Atlas Number 5171010048
Marker Title The Grapetown School
Index Entry Grapetown School
Address
City Fredericksburg
County Gillespie
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 517533
UTM Northing 3335234
Subject Codes educational buildings; educational topics
Marker Year 1984
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location take US 290 E approx. 3 mi. to the Old San Antonio Rd.; then south approx 7.2 miles to Grapetown
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text In 1882, Frederick Baag donated this tract of land for the third Grapetown schoolhouse. Completed in 1884, the structure was built with labor and materials donated by the community. All seven grades were taught by one teacher. In 1905, the facility became a county school known as Grapetown Line School, District No. 14. In 1949, the schoolhouse was closed as the district was consolidated with surrounding community schools. A total of 28 teachers taught here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984