Details for Harper Presbyterian Church (Atlas Number 5171010051)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5171010051

Data

Marker Number 10051
Atlas Number 5171010051
Marker Title Harper Presbyterian Church
Index Entry Harper Presbyterian Church
Address
City Harper
County Gillespie
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 483071
UTM Northing 3360672
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Presbyterian denomination
Marker Year 1976
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location IS Hwy. 280 and FM 783
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Organized in 1881 as the Barnett Spring Presbyterian Church, this congregation originally met in a schoolhouse. The fellowship moved to Harper in 1901 and erected this frame church on land donated by Arch Austin. Sale of property given by R. W. Crosley helped finance the construction. In 1903 a bell was purchased for the belfry. This structure housed the Harper School in 1906 and again in the 1940s. It also served as a worship site for other denominations. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976