Details for Holy Ghost (Heilige Geist) Evangelical Protestant Church (Atlas Number 5171010056)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5171010056

Data

Marker Number 10056
Atlas Number 5171010056
Marker Title Holy Ghost (Heilige Geist) Evangelical Protestant Church
Index Entry Holy Ghost Evangelical Protestant Church
Address 113 San Antonio St.
City Fredericksburg
County Gillespie
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 512357
UTM Northing 3349134
Subject Codes Lutheran denomination; German immigrants/immigration; churches
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text This congregation traces its origins to the first Protestant services held in Fredericksburg by the Rev. Henry Basse in 1846. Members worshiped at the old Vereins Kirche until 1888 when Carl Priess gave this lot for a new building. The first portion of the structure was dedicated in 1893. The tower houses an original bell from the Vereins Kirche. In 1948-49 the building was remodeled and enlarged, and the congregation became Holy Ghost Lutheran Church. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981