Details for Maier-Alberthal Building (Atlas Number 5171010078)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5171010078

Data

Marker Number 10078
Atlas Number 5171010078
Marker Title Maier-Alberthal Building
Index Entry Maier-Alberthal Building
Address 324 E. Main St.
City Fredericksburg
County Gillespie
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 512991
UTM Northing 3348986
Subject Codes commercial buildings; German immigrants/immigration; markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1983
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Constructed about 1860, this building was acquired by German native Anton Maier (b. 1813) in 1866. A merchant who held several Gillespie County offices, Maier deeded the property to his son-in-law, August Alberthal. In 1900, the German vernacular stone commercial building has served as a grocery and general mercantile store, a soda water factory, an auto repair shop, and at one time was the site of worship services for a mission congregation. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983