Details for Maier-Alberthal Building
Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5171010078
|324 E. Main St.
|commercial buildings; German immigrants/immigration; markets, merchantiles
|Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
|Medallion & Plate
|Constructed about 1860, this building was acquired by German native Anton Maier (b. 1813) in 1866. A merchant who held several Gillespie County offices, Maier deeded the property to his son-in-law, August Alberthal. In 1900, the German vernacular stone commercial building has served as a grocery and general mercantile store, a soda water factory, an auto repair shop, and at one time was the site of worship services for a mission congregation. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983