Details for Meckel-Hanus Building (Atlas Number 5171010081)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5171010081

Data

Marker Number 10081
Atlas Number 5171010081
Marker Title Meckel-Hanus Building
Index Entry Meckel-Hanus Building
Address 307 W. Main St.
City Fredericksburg
County Gillespie
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 511862
UTM Northing 3349726
Subject Codes hospitals; commercial buildings; Roman Catholic denomination; German immigrants/immigration
Marker Year 1986
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Saddle and harness merchant Henry Meckel (1855-1909) acquired this property in 1886 and soon made improvements to a one-story, ca. 1860 stone house already on the lot. A second level of concrete blocks and a double gallery of milled wood were added to the central-hall structure. Dr. J. J. Hanus (1898-1966) bought the building for a hospital in 1927 and altered the facade to its present appearance by 1929. The building served as a Catholic convent from 1949 through 1979. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986 Incise on base: Restored 1985 by Joe, Pat, and Eric Vance.