Details for Diedrich Rode Complex (Atlas Number 5171010104)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5171010104

Data

Marker Number 10104
Atlas Number 5171010104
Marker Title Diedrich Rode Complex
Index Entry Rode, Diedrich, Complex
Address
City Fredericksburg
County Gillespie
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 501166
UTM Northing 3373249
Subject Codes farms; government officials; German immigrants/immigration
Marker Year 1982
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location take US 87 N approx. 17 miles; then east on cherry Spring Rd. 1.2 miles
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text This group of buildings was constructed by german native Diedrich Rode (1828-1905). The three-story limestone residence was completed in 1880 and featured a third floor storage area for wool and cotton produced on the land. A Lutheran, Rode served as an early minister and held services in the Betkapelle, a prayer chapel on the east side of the second floor. In addition to his ranching, he also taught school. A landmark in the Cherry Spring community, the homesite was sold to Willie Kothe in 1929. It has remained in his family for over 50 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989