Details for The Schandua Building
Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5171010109
|The Schandua Building
|205 E. Main St.
|commercial buildings; markets, merchantiles
|Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
|Medallion & Plate
|Erected in 1897 of hand-hewn limestone, this structure was the home of John (d. 1900) and Bertha (Klein) Schandua (d. 1943). They lived upstairs with their children and John's hardware store was downstairs. For a time, the Masonic Lodge met upstairs in exchange for some construction costs. After John died his brother Henry married Bertha. Enlarged the building, and continued the hardware business on the first floor. Hardware businesses were operated here until 1972. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979