Details for Presidio de Nuestra Senora de Loreto de la Bahia (Atlas Number 5175004119)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5175004119

Data

Marker Number 4119
Atlas Number 5175004119
Marker Title Presidio de Nuestra Senora de Loreto de la Bahia
Index Entry Presidio de Nuestra Senora de Loreto de la Bahia
Address
City Goliad
County Goliad
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 658336
UTM Northing 3170268
Subject Codes Spanish immigrants/immigration; missions; forts; military topics
Marker Year 1969
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location From Goliad, take US 183/77A south about 1 mile to Presidio Chapel entrance on Spur 71.
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text (Fort of Our Lady of Loreto of the Bay) One of the most historic Spanish forts in Texas. Popularly called Presidio la Bahia, it was founded on Espiritu Santo (present Lavaca) Bay in 1722. Twice moved, it was re-established here in 1749 to protect Espiritu Santo Mission (1/4 mi. NW). In the chapel is the statue of Our Lady of Loreto placed here in 1749. The turbulent history of this fort has often rung with the sound of revolution. Between 1812 and 1820 several irregular "filibustering" forces, including the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition and others led by James Long and Henry Perry, occupied or assailed the fort for various idealistic and profiteering motives. Here, too, 92 Texas citizens and soldiers drew up and signed Texas' first formal Declaration of Independence on December 20, 1835. In the ensuing War for Texas Independence, Col. James Fannin and 341 prisoners of war were held and, on Palm Sunday, 1836, were massacred in and around the fort by their Mexican captors. When the fort was authentically restored, 1963-67, by the Kathryn O'Connor Foundation, nine "levels of occupancy" were uncovered. Church services are now held in the chapel. The presidio has been named a registered National Historic Landmark. Recorded Teas Historic Landmark--1969