Details for Reed-McCampbell-Wiess Ranch Complex (Atlas Number 5175004223)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5175004223

Data

Marker Number 4223
Atlas Number 5175004223
Marker Title Reed-McCampbell-Wiess Ranch Complex
Index Entry Reed-McCampbell-Wiess Ranch Complex
Address
City Berclair
County Goliad
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 632148
UTM Northing 3160708
Subject Codes ranches/ranching; agriculture, general; houses, residential buildings; Queen Anne (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1991
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location From Berclair, take FM 883 NW about 4 miles.
Marker Size 16" x 12" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text Founded in 1869 by James D. Reed, this ranch also was owned by the Peninsula Company comprised of Thomas and William McCampbell and Pryor Lea. Laura (McCampbell) Wiess (d. 1942) inherited it in 1885. The complex, which features more than 25 structures, centers around this two-story house begun by Reed in the 1870s. Laura and her husband, Valentine, added its Queen Anne elements later. The ranch was donated to the Baptist Foundation of Texas in 1970. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991