Details for Stoddard-Collins House (Atlas Number 5175005128)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5175005128

Data

Marker Number 5128
Atlas Number 5175005128
Marker Title Stoddard-Collins House
Index Entry Stoddard-Collins House
Address
City
County Goliad
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 657430
UTM Northing 3171893
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; design and construction
Marker Year 1993
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Corner of Fannin and Jefferson Streets, Goliad.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text A significant element in Goliad's architectural history, this house is one of the city's oldest structures. Although the exact date of construction has not been proven, documentary, architectural, and archeological evidence suggest it was built prior to 1847, perhaps as early as the 1820s. Pioneer settler Jessie W. Stoddard bought the property in 1847. It was sold in 1879 to Artie Holliday Collins, wife of cattle rancher Joseph Collins. The house, which reflects several phases of construction including a 1930s board-and-batten addition, remained in the Collins Family until 1906.