Details for The Eggleston House (Atlas Number 5177001405)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5177001405

Data

Marker Number 1405
Atlas Number 5177001405
Marker Title The Eggleston House
Index Entry Eggleston House, The
Address St. Louis St.
City Gonzales
County Gonzales
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 651033
UTM Northing 3264854
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location in park, 1300 block St. Louis St.
Marker Size RTHL medallion only. Local text plate also at site.
Marker Text text plate inscription: The Eggleston House was one of the first houses built in Gonzales after the Run-Away Scrape and burning of the town in 1836. Horace Eggleston built this house in 1848 and it was one of the first permanent type in Gonzales. The house was erected on Lots No. 1 to 6 Block 15 of the Inner Town of Gonzales which was 600 feet east of the Guadalupe River and on St. Michael Street. Walnut and oak trees were cut from the banks of the Guadalupe River. From the logs with the use of whipsaws and broadaxes, the timbers were cut to build the house. The whipsaw side of the timber was faced to the outside and the broadaxe side to the inside. The thickness of the timbers furnished protection against the Indians and wild animals. Spaces were left between the timbers from which to fire their weapons. The house was built as it is seen today, with two rooms separated by an open space, which was called a dog-run. Each room was provided a fire place. One room was used for cooking and the serving of food. The other room was used for sleeping quarters. When the family had overnight visitors, which was often, one room would be used for men and the other for women. Dogs were a necessity for protection and hunting, and the dogs slept in the dog-run. In 1954, the house was given to the City of Gonzales by Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Smith, Jr. The city council employed Mr. Fred B. Miesenhelder to move the house to city property. Due to the weight and condition of the house, it was necessary to disassemble all the timbers. Each timber was given a number as it was taken down and then reassembled in reverse order. Those parts which had deteriorated were replaced by new logs cut from the banks of the Guadalupe River.