Details for Episcopal Church of the Messiah (Atlas Number 5177001491)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5177001491

Data

Marker Number 1491
Atlas Number 5177001491
Marker Title Episcopal Church of the Messiah
Index Entry Episcopal Church of The Messiah
Address 711 St. Louis St.
City Gonzales
County Gonzales
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 650407
UTM Northing 3264594
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Episcopal denomination; Gothic Revial (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Following early missionary efforts in the Gonzales area, the Episcopal Church of the Messiah was established in 1855. Land at this site was granted by city officials, and construction of the Gothic Revival sanctuary was completed in 1881. The original wooden belfry was replaced by the native stone bell tower in 1928. Interior furnishings include walnut woodwork produced from trees in the Guadalupe River area. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981