Details for Gray County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5179011902)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5179011902

Data

Marker Number 11902
Atlas Number 5179011902
Marker Title Gray County Courthouse
Index Entry Gray County Courthouse
Address
City Pampa
County Gray
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Beaux Arts; courthouses; design and construction
Marker Year 1997
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Kingsmill & Russell
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text A fine example of a beaux arts courthouse with Georgian ornamentation, this structure was erected after the county seat was moved from Lefors in 1928. The edifice was designed by W. R. Kaufman & Son of Amarillo and built by Harland L. Case & Co. of Pampa. It was dedicated on April 19, 1930. Built upon a foundation of Indiana limestone, the steel frame and many windows give a modern look to the traditional beaux arts style. Kaufman designed Pampa's city hall and fire station in a similar style. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997