Details for Captain N. A. Birge House (Atlas Number 5181007342)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5181007342

Data

Marker Number 7342
Atlas Number 5181007342
Marker Title Captain N. A. Birge House
Index Entry Birge, Captain N. A., House
Address 727 W. Birge
City Sherman
County Grayson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 720898
UTM Northing 3725279
Subject Codes manufacturing; houses, residential buildings; Queen Anne (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1988
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 727 W. Birge at Woods St.
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Connecticut native Noble Allan Birge (1832-1902) came to Texas prior to the Civil War. Settling in Jefferson with his wife and children, he was the first elected sheriff of Marion County in 1860. Following his service as a captain in the Confederate army, Birge became a leading businessman in Jefferson. The owner of a livery stable and numerous city lots, he was an active civic leader involved in such endeavors as a railroad company and a navigation company. The Birge family moved to Grayson County in 1874, settling first on a farm north of Sherman. N. A. Birge soon became a prominent local businessman and industrialist, operating a large cotton brokerage firm and other cotton related businesses. This home was built for Birge in 1896, shortly after the great Sherman tornado destroyed an 1877 structure on the same site. Exhibiting both Queen Anne and classical revival style influences, the house features flamboyant classical revival touches in its gables with garlands, giant order Roman Ionic columns, pedimented (segmental arch) windows, and smaller columns that are half-Doric and half-turned. The home remained in the Birge family until 1969. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988

Images