Details for First Presbyterian Church and Manse (Atlas Number 5181007366)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5181007366

Data

Marker Number 7366
Atlas Number 5181007366
Marker Title First Presbyterian Church and Manse
Index Entry First Presbyterian Church and Manse
Address 202 N. Blanton
City Whitewright
County Grayson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 741932
UTM Northing 3711254
Subject Codes philanthropy; churches
Marker Year 1994
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Blanton and Walnut St.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text On October 30, 1853, a Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in the home of Christopher Sears in nearby Lick Skillet (Pilot Grove). J. A. Zinn served as moderator, and T. E. Montgomery, J. D. Barbee, and J. T. Clark as first elders. The church established the Canaan and Sears Chapel congregations in the 1860s. Sears Chapel moved to Whitewright in 1883, built a sanctuary in 1899, and became First Presbyterian Church in 1907. This classical revival church building, erected by the congregation in 1930, features art glass windows and doors. The adjacent manse has provided housing for pastors since 1902. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994