Details for E. M. Kohl Building (Atlas Number 5181007392)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5181007392

Data

Marker Number 7392
Atlas Number 5181007392
Marker Title E. M. Kohl Building
Index Entry Kohl, E. M., Building
Address 300 E. Main Ave.
City Denison
County Grayson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 728599
UTM Northing 3737743
Subject Codes inns, hotels, motels
Marker Year 1976
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Ernst Martin Kohl (1857-1935), former German Navy captain who came to Denison in 1885, built the first floor of this structure in 1893 to house a grocery store and saloon. He added the top three floors in 1909-11 as his family's residence. In the 1930s, this building became the Traveler's Hotel, drawing business from the nearby railroad district. Purchased in 1968 by Mr. and Mrs. Bud Tucker, it was sold in 1975 to Dr. and Mrs. D. H. Brandt and restored by their sons, Bill, Bob, and Charles. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1975