Details for Masonic Temple 1924 (Atlas Number 5181007404)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5181007404

Data

Marker Number 7404
Atlas Number 5181007404
Marker Title Masonic Temple 1924
Index Entry Masonic Temple 1924
Address 201 E Lamar St
City Sherman
County Grayson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 721889
UTM Northing 3724317
Subject Codes fraternal organizations
Marker Year 1988
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 201 E. Lamar St. at Walnut
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Travis Lodge No. 117, A. F. & A. M., was chartered in 1852. This site was acquired in 1916, although this classical revival temple was not built until 1924. Designed by local architects John Tulloch and the firm of Clyce & Rolfe, the building features giant order columns and portico, fifteen over fifteen windows, and a segmental arch entry pediment. It remained the headquarters for the Masonic Lodge until 1985. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988