Details for Metz House (Atlas Number 5181007406)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5181007406

Data

Marker Number 7406
Atlas Number 5181007406
Marker Title Metz House
Index Entry Metz House
Address 506 S. Crockett St.
City Sherman
County Grayson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 721757
UTM Northing 3723989
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Victorian (architectural term); markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1976
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Edward Metz (1854-1913) came to Texas from Michigan as a young man to join his brother, Charles, in a leather goods business. In the 1870s, they built a profitable trade, buying buffalo hides and other furs from Indian tribes in Oklahoma to sell to eastern markets. Metz is credited with helping keep peace between the Indians and settlers in Grayson County. In 1883 he built this house, with Victorian fish scale siding, as a present for his bride, Lillian (Craycroft). Occupied from 1909 to 1939 by prominent local physician Dr. J. D. Meadow, it was restored in 1975-76 by Byron Rice (b. 1957). Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976

Images