Details for Pioneer Cotton Seed Oil Mill (Atlas Number 5181007419)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5181007419

Data

Marker Number 7419
Atlas Number 5181007419
Marker Title Pioneer Cotton Seed Oil Mill
Index Entry Pioneer Cotton Seed Oil Mill
Address 1201 E. Pecan St.
City Sherman
County Grayson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 722868
UTM Northing 3724972
Subject Codes mills - textile, fiber, gristmills, cotton gins; cotton
Marker Year 1967
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Here the Sherman Cotton Oil Company was created by John Clement Tassey between 1871-1879, to become, at one time, largest of its kind in the world. Company was at first housed in frame buildings. In 1891 a permanent building was erected; spacious engine room contained white marble slab floor, oak paneled walls, red brick fireplace of English design, and a carved oak staircase. The new facility had a peak capacity of over 400 tons of cotton seed a day. By 1893, was called "largest cotton seed oil mill in the world" in geography textbooks; Texas "Almanac," 1904. Oil from this plant went to ports throughout the world. Tassey was known in Europe as "Mr. Sherman," and Sherman as the city "where the oil comes from." A pioneer in use of cotton seed for edible purposes; in 1902 a preparation of cotton seed oil for cooking was added to company's production. Smaller mills began competing for available seed; by 1903 plant closed because of inability to secure sufficient cotton seed to operate economically. It was reorganized and reopened in 1913 as the Interstate Cotton Oil Refining company. The original permanent building, facing Pecan Street, is now a part of this modern Sherman plant. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 Incise in base: Erected by Anderson, Clayton & Co. Foods Division